Saturday, December 1, 2012
For the record I am putting my annual report into my blog.
I took out the since I discovered they get put on line
FAMILY HISTORY REPORT FOR YEAR 2012
by Patricia Finley, Ward Family History Consultant
The year of 2012 has been a transitional year for the LDS FamilySearch. In 2011 FamilySearch had introduced new.familysearch.org for the Redeeming of the Dead by which the Saints can submit family names for the Saving Ordinances of the Temple. I, Patricia Finley, attended 2 months of training given by the Salem Stake Family History Library. Our Salem stake qualified to be one of the first stakes in Utah to be able to access new.familysearch.org.
In October of 2012 LDS Family Search updated new.familysearch.org to Family Tree. Family Tree has solved many of the problems that vexed new.familysearch.org.
Benefits of Family Tree
• It is part of familysearch.org.
• It is free and available to everyone who uses familysearch.org.
• It is easy to get around in. You can even use it on a tablet computer.
• You can fix incorrect data, regardless of who contributed it and how many times it has been contributed.
• You can link to the sources needed to prove the accuracy of the information about your ancestors.
• You can easily communicate with others who are working on shared family lines.
• You can be notified when someone changes information about ancestors.
• You can qualify and submit the names of your ancestors for temple ordinances using the same, simple
process that new.familysearch.org provides.
There was little in training available so I quickly concentrated on understanding Family Tree. I started teaching Family Tree in Sunday School on 4 November 2012.
During this time our chapel was wired for the internet. This has made it easier for class members to access Family Search during Sunday School.
Also in 2012 LDS FamilySearch refined the Search Program. It now has an opening universal search screen for anyone in the world to search all the records the Family History Library has in its possession, some 500,000,00 names and growing with all the Indexing data that is added daily. When your name generates a FHL data source you can now save it to “Source Box” and then move it seamlessly to the name’s detail page in Family Tree. The source has references to the microfilms that were indexed.
Consulting Activities
A ward brother was called as a Family History Consultant in July 2012.
I visited 10 people in their homes. I personally submitted over a three hundred of my family's names for temple work. Other ward members, have submitted names. for temple work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment