Monday, January 28, 2013

                                                       MY QUEST FOR   MARY NOGGLES RENO

I have been looking for the parents of my 2nd great grandmother Mary Noggles Reno for 40 years. I have a time line from census records for her that begins 1784 in Westmoreland County, Pa.  The only hard documentation I have for her  is a copy of the  Hamilton, Warren County, Ohio marriage record for when she married Elijah Dugan Reno in 1818.  She seems to  just show up there and get married.



I have put together a time line for her beginning in 1784 to 1877.


She was age 50 when last child born.

A book  "A Discipline of the M.E. Church" was owned of Mary Noggles
Page 9 of the Ella Reno Cox notebook that I photocopied copied in 1977.  The notebook was in the possession of Fern Reno McClannahan, Kansas City, MO
(This exerpt must be from a letter from Laura McDaniel of Terre Haute, Dec 21,??:)
She says,
"Just now I took from my bookcase an old book 'A Discipline of the M.E. Church  that was given to my by my Uncle Sam Willis.  This little volume all bound in leather and worn with age had belonged to Grandmother Reno (Mary Noggles).  Written in it by her own hand is the name  " Mary Reno", as nearly as I can see it.  Then someone has written on left,  Born 1784, died 1875, age 91 years."



!BURIAL:   Franklyn P. Reno ledger Pg 18,
           Black Cem. Hyw 69, Solitude, Posey, IN, Near the Methodist Church.
           Only 5 grave markers are left standing, none with Reno name
           Black church (Methodist) burned, then they held services in Smith School
           Olive Chapel (Methodist), Copper Line Rd, Solitude has no records

RESIDENCE::  at Hart Renos house (FP Reno ledger)
                           at Em's house (FP Reno ledger)        

From Ledger: 1876/77 Franklin P. Reno ledger  pages 18 and 55
                        " He married Mary Noggles who lived till she was
                        near the nineties in age.  She died in Posey Co. IN
                        I saw her twice at Uncle Hart Renos home in 1876/77."!





 According to 1840 the census  Elijah's occupation  was  as "Employed in Navigation of Canals, Lakes, Rivers"  that sounds like a fancy description  for a Flat Boat Captain.  the Miami River is contributory to the Ohio River at Cincinnati.  Elijah's father George built flat boats in Pittsburgh  loaded them with cargo and went down the Ohio River to the Mississippi to New Orleans.  He would then sell the cargo and the wood and "hot foot" back to Pittsburgh and build another boat.



Maybe they met while he was flat boating in Hamilton.  After that they moved to Lauranceburg , IN.  It is very close to Cincinnati.  From there they went to Solitude, Posey County, IN  before 1840.  Elijah is said to have died on his boat on the Wabash River near Solitude, IN.

I had the names of other Noggles or Noggle in the Miami River area.  Even a deed where Mary sold some land to George Noggles.  Through Ancestry.com I found a Reno cousin who had information that gave Mary's father as George M. Noggles.  I had some data that said that George married Rebecca in Darke County, OH.

So today I put her parents  into Family Tree,  I hope I am right!!




No comments:

Post a Comment